Grandma took care of this and also baked up little Gingerbread people and this is the recipe I want to share this month.
- 1/2 Cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 zvup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups light molasses
- 2/3 Cup water or apple juice
- 6 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp each baking soda and salt
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon, ginger, cloves and all spice
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
In large bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add molasses and beat until blended, then mix in water. In another bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice. Gradually add to butter mixture, blending to form a stiff dough. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
On a floured board, roll out dough, a portion at a time, to a thickness of 3/16 inch. cut out using ginger bread cutter. With cutter still in place, transfer cookie and cutter with a wide spatula to a lightly greased baking sheet. Lift off cutter and repeat.
Bake in a 350 degrees oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until lighly browned. Transfer cookies to racks and let cool completely. Decorate as desired.
This recipe will yield about 4 dozen, but I promise they will not last long!
Mmmmmm. Sounds Yummy! Thanks for sharing a recipe that is close to your heart.
Post a Comment