I am NOT a candy maker, and truth be told, I still have not mastered this recipe. While the ingredients are simple, in order for brittle to come out perfectly, the temperature of the candy must be just right. I highly recommend a candy thermometer if this is the first time making brittle.
You will need:
- 1 C blanched almonds, toasted and chopped finely
- 1 C butter
- 2 C sugar
- 1/2 C unblanched almonds
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 12 ounces milk chocolate
- Prepare almonds and set aside
- Melt butter n 2 quart saucepan.
- Add sugar and unblanched almonds and cook over medium heat stirring constantly with wooden spoon.
- Cook until sugar has carmelized (approx 15 minutes)
- Add vanilla and turn out immediately onto a buttered 9 x 14 inch baking sheet with 4 sides
- Distribute almonds evenly
- When cold, spread thinly with melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped almonds
- When chocolate has hardened, break into pieces
The trick is NOT to under cook or over cook! But once you master this, it will easily become a family favorite!